The geriatric fellowship at Michigan State University provides general psychiatrists an in-depth training program for treating elderly patients with complex health issues. Fellows rotate through multiple community-based settings and two hospitals. Prioritizing patient care and the education of our residents is at the core of our mission. The fellows are engaged with the general residents in various educational opportunities such as DEI-themed book clubs, a department-wide Film Festival, Residency Research Poster Day, resident sub-specialty conferences, community outreach projects, resident retreats, and resident wellness days.
Rotations and Experiences
|Inpatient Geriatric Psychiatry||3||McLaren Greater Lansing|
|Consultation Liaison||3||Sparrow Hospital|
|Long-Term Care||Longitudinal||Ingham County Medical Care Facility|
Ingham County Medical Care Facility
3860 Dobie Rd.
McLaren Greater Lansing
2900 Collins Rd.
Michigan State University Sites
Outpatient Psychiatry Clinic
909 Wilson Rd. B109 West Fee
East Lansing, MI
Sparrow Hospital Sites
1215 E. Michigan Ave.
Seminars & Didactics
Weekly Thursday Didactics and Seminars
Our educational programs are diligent in providing didactic experiences for our residents. Didactics occur one-half day each week for the duration of the one year fellowship program. Planned seminars and didactic topics covered during this time include:
- common psychiatric disorders in late life, psychotherapy in late life, long-term care psychiatry, genetics of late life mental illness, laboratory assessment, ECT in the elderly, psychopharmocology in the elderly
- neuropathology, neurophysiology, neuropsychology, neuroradiology
- legal, ethical, policy issues, cross cultural psychiatry, sexuality in late life, LGBTQIA+ issues, elder abuse
- community services, research methods, geriatric case conference, geriatric journal club
- Special topics, case presentation, and morbidity and mortality conferences in psychiatry
- Annual residency program retreat that merges popular culture and the psychiatry discipline
Psychiatry Education Subspecialty Conferences
- Bi-annual conference on select topics in psychiatry.